Instagram

Thursday 25 August 2011

Places I Plan To Go In Australia #1 - Cairns & Great Barrier Reef

The Great Barrier Reef stretches over 1800 miles along the East coast of Australia and is made up of over 2900 individual reefs! Basically it's bigger than the Great Wall of China, which to me means it's absolutely HUGE! Thousands of endangered species including some turtles, which are my favourite animal, live here. It harbours many marine animals such as whales, dolphins and sea cows. I'm not exactly the biggest fan of fish, to put it lightly and I'd be pretty freaked out if one came near me so I'm still contemplating whether I actually want to go snorkelling but I'm pretty impressed that the Great Barrier Reef is home to 1500 different species of fish, 400 types of coral, 4000 breeds of clams, 500 varieties of seaweed and 200 bird species, as well as 6 types of turtle!! Wow! I could keep telling you all the wonderful things that my guidebook has to say about this but alone the fact that it's the only living thing that can be seen from space says enough about how amazing this place is looking. 
Cairns was founded in 1876, so it's not a very old city but I'm excited by new things! It doesn't have a beach which is kind of a downside but it has a rainforest on the other side, which probably makes up for it. It sounds like it's a city for relaxing and ... errr.. shopping! It has a lagoon and a beautiful Esplanade, which I really want to visit. I can actually imagine sitting there while the sun goes down drinking a Frappuccino or something while the locals get on with their daily dose of yoga haha! 


1 comment:

  1. It looks so amazing!

    http://ninety2wo.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete