Instagram

Friday 19 August 2011

Reading Material




So I got myself a couple of books from amazon, which arrived yesterday along with my new tripod in what was probably the biggest parcel I've ever received! 
Jodi Picoult is undoubtedly my favourite author of all time but it is coming to the stage where I have actually read all of her books bar 2 I think so I've had to chose some other books to read, which I'm a bit scared of to be honest! I mainly went by the suggestions on amazon, which are loosely based on previous purchases I've made and I'm hoping that these books will be just as exciting as any Jodi Picoult novel.

Firstly, I have Starter for Ten by David Nichols, who actually wrote One Day, which has just been turned into a movie. I read One Day not too long ago, as it was a Birthday present from Ed's mum and because I loved it so much, she gave me this one, too. It came out in 2003 and was made into a film in 2006 but I'd never heard of it before. It's set in 1985 at an unnamed University and follows Brian Jackson's entry into University Challenge, where he falls for his team mate Alice Harbinson. The blurb of the book suggests it's a 'brilliant comedy of love, class, growing up and the all-important difference between knowledge and wisdom' so it sounds quite exciting and I can't wait to see if it's just as good as One Day.

The first book I bought from amazon was one I actually picked up in Waterstones. The 3 for 2 offer they have on always seems really attractive and tempting but amazon works out cheaper. It's called Kiss Heaven Goodbye by Tasmina Perry and looks pretty much like the usual girlie chick-flick book. But since it's almost 700 pages long, the fact that it looks like an easy read is probably a good thing. The summary hints at a tragic accident or event that happens when Miles, Grace, Alex and Sasha holiday after finishing their final exams. The book seems to chronicle their lives as they move into careers but somehow the characters can't escape the past. Pretty much "Chick Literature" but could be a good book to read on the 24 hour flight to Australia or while I'm trying to overcome the jet lag at 4am... It looks like a book that would be pretty hard to put down but turn out to be an easy read at the same time. 

The Diplomat's Wife by Pam Jenoff, I picked up because I have read another book by her, The Kommandant's Girl, a couple of years ago and loved it so much that I had to read it again straight after! As a history graduate, I absolutely love history novels and although the collection by Pam Jenoff is fictional and not in any way truthful, it somehow romanticises history, which is amazing. The back of the book reads 'Surviving the brutality of a Nazi prison camp, Marta Nederman is lucky to have escaped with her life. Recovering from the horror, she meets Paul, an American soldier who gives her hope of a happier future. But their plans to meet in London are dashed when Paul's plane crashes.' Sounds like my kinda book and can't wait to read that one twice or three times!

We All Ran Into The Sunlight by Natalie Young is also historical fiction and set in southern France. It alternates between the years immediately following the Second World War and the present day and supposedly explores a family secret and it's effect on people's lives. I love this kind of book, too! Looking at the cover, I'm a little reminded of The Kiterunner, which I found too boring to finish but reading the blurb made me want to buy it anyway. 

Lastly, I got Destiny by Louise Bagshaw also because I have read one of her books in the past. I'd say the writing style is similar to Sophie Kinsella books, which I have loved so far despite not having read very many of them. It's chick lit again and follows the life of orphaned Kate Fox and her search of wealth and security. The other book I read by her, Desire, was actually a kind of sexy thriller, which sounds nothing like this new book and I'm starting to wonder why I bought it but I wouldn't let a reading opportunity pass me by when I'll be lounging on the shores of the Pacific Ocean so I'll be taking it along anyway. 


1 comment: