Instagram

Sunday 11 December 2011

Flinders Street Station

This is Flinders Street Station in Melbourne. I stayed in a hostel directly opposite it and so walked past it every day I was there. It's one of the only 2 stations that are above ground, the rest are underground. It was really busy every day, especially because the races were on and I arrived a day after the Melbourne Cup so there were still heaps of girls in floral dresses and fascinators and men in suits and sparkly hats... The station is absolutely huge and stretches across 2 city blocks and along the Yarra River. I think it's one of the most iconic buildings in Melbourne and you can be sure that from where I took this picture, there are now a hundred more Chinese people also taking this picture. Behind it, you can see the Eureka Tower again, which is Melbourne's tallest building, from which you could view the whole city on its Level 88 viewing platform. I decided against that because it was a tad costly, but instead I used the Shrine of Remembrance, a larger than life World War 1 memorial, as my viewing platform. Will upload pictures of that soon! 
Happy Monday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment